Running your business out of your home is a great way to save on rent and commuting. Since your home is more than likely to be zoned for a residential use, there are a few restrictions on what type and how much commercial activity you can conduct, which helps to ensure that your business doesn't negatively impact your neighbors. Because of this, home-based businesses work best for small enterprises without many employees, deliveries, or customers who need to visit the office.
If you are planning to have a home-based office, please keep in mind a few city regulations:
- The commercial activity associated with your business cannot be visible from outside – for instance, no signs or window/outside displays.
- You may only have one employee working in the office who does not live in the home.
- You may only have two deliveries and pick ups to your office per day and cannot park or store commercial vehicles on site.
- You may not use mechanized equipment that wouldn't normally be used in a residential setting.
- You may only have one client visit per hour between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.